Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Fall in Love with Books


“Brigitte,” Installment One of Tales from Vlaydor, is available on ebook and audiobook. Follow the link to find them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=brigitte+devin+davis&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Become a patron today! Visit patreon.com/writinginthetinyhouse

Get ahold of Krissy Barton with Little Syllables editing services. She does free sample edits to see if you and she would be the right fit. www.littlesyllables.com

Instagram: @authordevindavis

Twitter: @authordevind

The following is a transcript of this episode. I complete transcript can be found on the show’s webpage.

[00:00:00] We are taking things a little bit differently today, guys, today on Writing in the Tiny House. Hello. Hello. Hello, and welcome to this kind of different episode of Writing in the Tiny House. 

[00:00:39] So this episode. We're going to slow down a little bit. Friends. This month has already been a huge roller coaster for me, especially with the recent time change that has messed me up. And I'm sure that I'm not the only person here or the only person in the room with you who feels that way. And. In light of NaNoWriMo, in light of some of the more recent changes in my personal life and at work, there has been a lot, there has been a lot to reflect on. There has been a lot to consider. And guys, I want to take a moment today. I was going to talk a lot about NaNoWriMo and I still might, but not in this episode. My goals with NaNoWriMo have been modified just because they need to be. With some of the different things that happened with work. So let's, let's describe what happened with work. This is not excuses, but this is something that I am very excited about. That work, I got asked to host a private podcast, and so I am now the host of two podcasts and getting that underway and getting that up and running and figuring it all out just because I am the only person in my work setting who knows how to podcast, who has ever done that before.

[00:02:15] Who knows how to record. Spoken word and do interviews. And so it's not like someone was there to give feedback and guidance as to what this private show that I am doing for my work needs to be like, and it's been fun to see it grow, and it's been fun to see it take shape. And it was really fun to present that to my coworkers and watch it go live. It's been a fun thing. It's been a fun project, but that has taken time more than anything that has taken mental energy that I was planning once upon a time to pour into NaNoWriMo. And so if you are following me on NaNoWriMo, you will see that my word count is low. As of the publishing date of this episode.

[00:03:04] And I would stand here and say that I'm sorry, but I'm not a NaNoWriMo is a really big project. And if you make it to 50,000 words, that is wonderful. And that is a huge feat and that is something to celebrate. If you don't make it to 50,000 words, if you write anything at all, it is absolutely worth celebrating.

[00:03:28] So that's where I am. I understand that this episode is airing November 17th. And I am going to tell you that it is not very likely that I am going to be accomplishing that 50,000 word count for NaNoWriMo, but it is because of very good reasons that have happened otherwise in my life. 

[00:03:52] The thing that I wanted to talk about most, and this is a little bit of a different episode like I mentioned earlier. This is November friends. This is where we give things. I talked about giving things last week, I talked about the importance of voicing what you are grateful for as a way to manage stress and as a way to bring, focus into what you're doing.

[00:04:18] And I still believe that is true. And that is something that I will always. Practice my gratitude and bringing attention and focused to the things that I'm grateful for as a way to lift spirits and as a way to bring motivation. All of that is real to me. All of that works. Today I want to talk about why I love books so much.

[00:04:47] I've talked about why I love writing. I've talked about the importance of writing all throughout all of these episodes of Writing in the Tiny House. And some of that stuff I might repeat, but there is something that I want to focus on today. I have found that I can know a person more. I can know a person better.

[00:05:09] If I know what they read. I have friends at work specifically one friend and another friend that starting to perk up and join in the fun a little bit, that many times a week, we stand around and we talk about fantasy fiction. We talk about magic. We talk about stories. We talk about narrators just because this other friend is also a big audio book person, just like me.

[00:05:39] And we talk about stories. We talk about things that trigger our imaginations and we talk about how fun it is to be completely. Surrounded and engrossed into these fun fantastical worlds. The, the book that has been brought up recently is the book Sabri L by Garth nix. It's About a little necromancer of all things.

[00:06:09] The world is wonderful. The magic is creative and this book is narrated by Tim Curry. It's not a new book. It came out a long time ago. I remember reading Sabri L when I was in high school and this friend. Recently picked it up either for the first time or picked it up again. And so we've had a lot of things to talk about.

[00:06:34] And the thing is I love reading books that other people have read because it brings me closer to those people. It makes me know my friend better when I know what she reads. And it helps me know how her mind works and it lets me know where she's been or at least the thoughts and the wonder and the fun moments of these stories.

[00:07:04] She has been in those moments. And it's fun for me to be in those moments too. I have a friend that I met very recently who. Recommended the book, the life of PI, and he also recommended the book, eat, pray love, and I have never read the life of PI before, and I am so excited to dive into this wonderful work of literary fiction.

[00:07:33] A movie was made with this book and I've heard nothing but good things about the movie, but to read a book and to experience these things in the same way or experience similar feelings and reactions and emotions, and to see some of the similar pictures. Possibly. To read this beautiful prose and come to know these characters as this friend has done, makes me come to know my friend better.

[00:08:06] And so this episode is releasing November 17th and that is one week and before Thanksgiving, I don't know. My dear listeners, how many people in your lives are readers, but I encourage you over this holiday season to talk about what people have read and to add that to your, to be read. And I invite you to read these different works of fiction, or maybe nonfiction through that specific lens that your loved one, your friend, your mom, your dad, your family member has kind of been on this path already and pay attention to how it affects your relationship with.

[00:09:02] Pay attention to how it can bring you to understand that person better. I don't know if this is a practice that you do already, but it is something that I practice with all of the people that I hold dearly. If I were to line up all of my reader, friends and all of my reader, family, and present them to you and in a line,

[00:09:28] odds are very high, that I will have read something that they recommended and odds are very high that because I did that, I understand and appreciate and love them more deeply than I would had. I not read those books first. So even if you're not a writer, there is a lot to say about who you are based on the things that you read.

[00:09:56] And so I invite you over the next six weeks to do that. One thing that I usually do in November, and that I have chosen over the past two years to kind of forget to do this. There is a practice in November of doing new year's resolutions. It's not really an American practice or something that I was ever raised.

[00:10:20] doing. But the spirit of November and October is the spirit of the harvest, which just the energy of ripping the plants from the soil and preparing the ground so that the ground is ready to plant in the spring is a common practice for farmers and whatever. You don't always have to wait until the spring to prepare the ground.

[00:10:47] And so there is just a cultural thing of doing new year's resolutions in November. And the friend who recommended the life of PI has a resolution to read 12 books this next year. And I have not sat down to see how many books I intend to read next year. I'm a pretty big reader. At least I'm a pretty big audio book listener, but what are you going to do?

[00:11:18] How are you going to expand your mind? Maybe in these next six weeks, maybe in the next year for 2022. So that you can explore a different book, explore a different point of view and see things as a writer saw those things, experience a story that a writer brings to you. But, and I've said this before, and I will say it one last time.

[00:11:45] I invite you to read a recommendation. From one of your closest friends or family members, and I invite you to see how that affects your relationship with them. So again, this is a different type of episode. I don't do episodes like this all the time. But otherwise this episode is very, it's very much from the heart. It is very under produced. I mean, we're pretty raw and honest right now. And we're going to kind of keep it like this. So I hope that you are celebrating your holidays with loved ones. I pray for nothing but good things to come your way.

[00:12:31] And I hope that you are reflecting on the things that you are grateful for this month. So thank you for your support. Thank you for spending some time with me today, and we will see you next time on Writing and the Tiny House.


Check out this episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment